Moreland Neighborhood History
- Moreland neighborhood was part of East View Village from 1906 to 1920, when East View “became insolvent and was absorbed by Shaker Village.” Scruggs, 2012.
- “In 1920 the boundaries of Moreland were Van Aken Boulevard on the north, Scottsdale Road on the south, Lindholm Road (one block east of Lee Rd) on the east, and Sutton and Menlo Roads on the west. When completely built out in the 1960s Moreland had 808 single-family homes, 248 two-family, and 617 apartment units.” Dawson, 2017
- Moreland 2010 Census Profile (need PDFs)
- Hart, James Donovan (2003). “No Bowling Allowed: The Challenge of Commercial Revitalization and Racial Integration in Shaker Heights, 1976-1992.”
- Styche, Leonard G. & Don M. Hisaka (December 1967). Summary of a Comprehensive Plan: Shaker Heights, Ohio.
- Richter, Cynthia Mills (1999). Integrating the Suburban Dream: Shaker Heights, Ohio. University of Minnesota.
East View United Church of Christ:
- <Placeholder for link to Moreland Oral Histories>
- Whyte, Donna McIntyre. Current resident of Moreland neighborhood.
- Shaker Heights Centennial Interview Collection
- Shaker Lakes Nature Center Interview Collection
- Architectural Guide to Southern Moreland
- Moreland Houses Architectural Information
- Landmarked Buildings:
- Moreland Elementary School historic photographs, Shaker Heights Collection, Cleveland Memory.
- Moreland Historic Images, Planning Department, City of Shaker Heights.
- Moreland Neighborhood historic photographs, Shaker Heights Collection, Cleveland Memory.
Contemporary scenes of Moreland courtesy Kamla Lewis, c. 2015-2017.
The Moreland History Working Group meets monthly and consists of residents of Moreland neighborhood, independent scholars, and representatives of:
- City of Shaker Heights Neighborhood Revitalization Department
- Cleveland Restoration Society
- Shaker Heights Public Library
- Shaker Historical Society
Kamla Lewis, Director
3450 Lee Road, 44120
216-491-1370 (office); 216-491-1374 (Director)