The purpose of the Library’s meeting rooms is to provide a space for library and library-related activities. The needs of the library and Friends of the Shaker Library take precedence. The library reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any meeting.
The Library welcomes the use of its seven meeting rooms during regular library hours.
Six rooms at Main Library can accommodate from 10 to 100 people and one at Bertram Woods Branch holds up to 40 people. If meeting rooms are in demand, the Library may limit an organization’s requests to two reservations per month.
Nonprofit groups may reserve meeting rooms free of charge. This includes educational, cultural, civic, political, professional, community, governmental or religious organizations (must have a permanent place of worship outside the library.) The Library reserves the right to require proof of nonprofit status, such as 501(c)(3) documentation or proof of registration with the Ohio Secretary of State’s office. All nonprofit meetings must be free and open to the public.
The Library charges room rental fees for social groups and gatherings (birthday parties, wedding or baby showers, family reunions, etc.) and for-profit businesses. Nonprofit organizations are not permitted to use their nonprofit status for other organizations or personal social events. All rental fees support Shaker Heights Public Library’s collections and services.
Meeting rooms may be scheduled up to six months in advance. Meeting room applications are submitted online. The Library will acknowledge receipt of applications within three business days. All applications are pending until approved by the Library.
Social/for-profit groups must pay in full within 14 days of approval, or at least 14 days before the meeting date, whichever comes first, or the room will be released. If a meeting room application is submitted less than 14 days before the requested meeting time, all fees must be paid in full within 3 business days of approval, or before the requested meeting time, whichever comes first. Fees may be paid via cash, money order, credit card, or check (payable to Shaker Heights Public Library.) A processing fee of $7.00 will be assessed for a returned check. The library reserves the right to refuse to accept checks from a customer who has had previous checks returned.
Decisions on meeting room use are subject to review by the Library Board of Trustees. Meeting Room applicants must be at least 18 years old and assume responsibility for the Conditions of Use.
The Library recognizes the rights of individuals or groups to express their views as long as they abide by the Library’s guidelines concerning use of the meeting rooms. Meeting content, topics, subject matter, expressed points of view, or literature distributed do not necessarily reflect the views of the Library Board of Trustees, the administration, or staff. All publicity must carry the name of the sponsoring organization and shall not imply Library sponsorship.
Organizations may not run their nonprofit or business out of the library. Religious organizations may not use library meeting rooms as a permanent primary place of worship. Meeting rooms are intended to be a venue for meetings and special programs.
Meeting signs may not be posted in the Library without permission from the Building Senior Person. No tape, thumbtacks, or related adhesives may be used on Library walls or equipment. The Library reserves the right to revoke permission to use any meeting room if library rules and policies are violated.
Fees & Refunds
Rates vary depending on size of the room.
|Maximum occupancy||Hourly rate for social/for-profit use|
|Large rooms (B, E, F)||50||$40|
|Rooms E & F combined||100||$80|
|Room C and D||10||$20|
|Bertram Woods Branch|
|Dietz Community Room||40||$30|
An LCD Projector and a 46-inch flat panel TV with DVD player may be reserved for use in meeting rooms at no charge. At Main Library, a shared kitchenette is available to all groups at no charge.
Fees will be refunded only if cancellation is received at least 14 days prior to event. Groups are responsible for notifying the Library of cancellation of a meeting in addition to notifying group members and/or the audience. The Library does not assume responsibility for posting signs about cancellations.
Meeting Room Hours
Meeting rooms at the Main Library are available:
|Monday through Thursday||9:00 am – 8:30 pm|
|Friday, Saturday||9:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|Sunday||1:00 pm – 4:30 pm|
The Dietz Community Room at Bertram Woods Branch is available:
|Monday, Wednesday||1:00 pm – 8:30 pm|
|Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday||9:00 am – 5:00 pm|
Conditions of Use
Each organization using the meeting rooms must observe all Library rules and policies and the following Conditions of Use. Library staff has the authority to ensure compliance with these Conditions. If there is non-compliance, the Library reserves the right to refuse future meeting room requests or to require a refundable security deposit.
- Time needed for setup and cleanup must be included in reserved time. Rooms cannot be opened before, nor kept open after, the reserved time.
- Each organization is responsible for maintaining orderly conduct to ensure no disruption to other groups or Library operations.
- A responsible adult must be present at all times to supervise all minors. Adults using meeting rooms may not leave children unattended in the Library.
- The Library provides tables and chairs; however, each organization is responsible for setting up the rooms according to its needs. Groups who reserve equipment from the library are responsible for the setup, connection, and troubleshooting of all equipment. No storage facilities are provided by the Library.
- Light refreshments may be served. Kitchenette access to a refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, and sink is available at Main Library. A sink and small refrigerator are available at the Bertram Woods Branch. However, no supplies are provided by the Library. No food may be left on the premises.
- Rooms must be left clean. Groups are responsible for proper disposal of food, paper, or other remains from their meeting. Groups are responsible for any loss or damage to library property and will be assessed the cost of any necessary repairs or extensive cleanup.
- The Library assumes no liability and the organization releases and holds the Library harmless from any claims, actions or liabilities arising out of, directly or indirectly, the organization’s use of the meeting rooms, including without limitation, injuries to any persons using the meeting room from any food served and activities conducted, or damage to or loss of property belonging to individuals or groups using the meeting rooms.
- No admission fees may be charged; no collections may be taken; no donations may be solicited; and no items may be sold.
- Tuition may be charged by non-profit library and educational institutions only upon the prior approval of the Library Director.
- No alcohol, smoking or open flames are permitted in the Library, including portable food-warming fuels such as Sterno.
- No literature may be distributed on Library property outside of the meeting room without permission of the Library Director.
- No program may be broadcast or televised without permission.
- Groups shall not exceed the legal posted capacity of the meeting room and hallways may not be used as part of the room rental.
- When the Library must close due to an emergency, reasonable effort will be made to notify groups scheduled to use the meeting rooms. Fees will be refunded if the Library is unable to reschedule. When in doubt, please call the Library, visit the Library’s website at www.shakerlibrary.org, or tune to local radio and TV stations.
Approved by the Board of Trustees 6/13/2005, amended 7/27/ 2009, 1/12/ 2010, 5/11/2010, 5/9/2011, 6/18/2012, 5/13/2013, 10/14/2013, 5/11/2015, 4/24/2017, 5/21/2018, 8/20/2018, 10/15/2018