The purpose of the library’s meeting rooms is to provide a space for library and library-related activities. The needs of the library and Friends of the Shaker Library take precedence. The library reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any meeting.
The library welcomes the use of its seven meeting rooms during regular library hours. Six rooms at Main Library can accommodate from 12 to 95 people and one at Bertram Woods Branch holds up to 40 people. If meeting rooms are in demand, the library may limit an organization’s requests to two reservations per month.
Nonprofit groups may reserve meeting rooms free of charge. This includes educational, cultural, civic, political, professional, community, governmental or religious organizations (must have a permanent place of worship outside the library.) The library reserves the right to require proof of nonprofit status, such as 501(c)(3) documentation or proof of registration with the Ohio Secretary of State’s office. All nonprofit meetings must be free and open to the public.
For-profit businesses may rent rooms for a fee.
Residents of the Shaker Heights City School District with a library card in good standing may rent for a fee the large meeting rooms at Main Library or the Dietz Community Room at Bertram Woods Branch for social gatherings (birthday parties, wedding or baby showers, family reunions, etc.)
Nonprofit organizations are not permitted to use their nonprofit status for other organizations or for personal social events. All rental fees support Shaker Heights Public Library’s collections and services.
Meeting Room applicants must be at least 18 years old and assume responsibility for the Conditions of Use.
Meeting rooms may be scheduled up to three months in advance. Meeting room applications are submitted online. The library will acknowledge receipt of applications within three business days. All applications are pending until approved by the library.
Decisions on meeting room use are subject to review by the Library Board of Trustees.
The library recognizes the rights of individuals or groups to express their views as long as they abide by the library’s guidelines concerning use of the meeting rooms. Meeting content, topics, subject matter, expressed points of view, or literature distributed do not necessarily reflect the views of the Library Board of Trustees, the administration, or staff. All publicity must carry the name of the sponsoring organization and shall not imply library sponsorship.
Meeting rooms are intended to be a venue for meetings and special programs.
Organizations may not run their nonprofit or business out of the library. Religious organizations may not use library meeting rooms as a permanent primary place of worship.
Large meeting rooms are equipped with multi-media presentation equipment for projection from personal devices. Mobile multi-media equipment may be reserved for use in the smaller conference rooms. An LCD Projector may be reserved for use in the Dietz Community Room at Bertram Woods branch.
The library does not provide computers, laptops, tablets, or mobile devices for use with the presentation equipment. Laptops may be available at Main Library for borrowing from the laptop lending machine by customers with a library card in good standing.
The library reserves the right to revoke permission to use any meeting room if library rules and policies are violated.
Fees & Refunds
Rates vary depending on size of the room.
|Meeting Capacity||Hourly rate for social/for-profit use|
|Large meeting rooms:
|Boulevard & Fernway Rooms combined||95||$80|
*not available for
|Bertram Woods Branch|
|Dietz Community Room||40||$30|
Social/for-profit groups must pay in full within 7 days of approval or the room will be released. If a meeting room application is submitted less than 7 days before the requested meeting time, all fees must be paid in full before the requested meeting time. Fees may be paid via cash, money order, credit card, or check (payable to Shaker Heights Public Library.) A processing fee of $15.00 will be assessed for a returned check. The library reserves the right to refuse to accept checks from a customer who has had previous checks returned.
Reservation fees will be refunded only if cancellation is received at least 2 days prior to event. The library issues refunds by check only. Groups are responsible for notifying the library of cancellation of a meeting in addition to notifying group members and/or the audience.
Housekeeping fee: Groups are responsible for proper disposal of food, paper, or other remains from their gathering. If a room is not left clean, a housekeeping fee will be assessed in the amount of $50 for a conference room, $100 for a large meeting room or the Dietz Community Room.
Damage fee: Groups are responsible for any loss or damage to library property and will be assessed the cost of repair or replacement.
Meeting Room Hours
Meeting rooms at the Main Library are available:
|Monday through Thursday||9:00 am – 8:30 pm|
|Friday, Saturday||9:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|Sunday||1:00 pm – 4:30 pm|
The Dietz Community Room at Bertram Woods Branch is available:
|Monday, Wednesday||1:00 pm – 8:30 pm|
|Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday||9:00 am – 5:00 pm|
Conditions of Use
Each group using the meeting rooms must observe all library rules and policies and the following Conditions of Use. Library staff has the authority to ensure compliance with these Conditions. If there is non-compliance, the library reserves the right to refuse future meeting room requests or to require a refundable security deposit.
1. Time needed for setup and cleanup must be included in reserved time. Rooms cannot be opened before, nor kept open after, the reserved time.
2. Each group is responsible for maintaining orderly conduct to ensure no disruption to other groups or library operations. Noise levels must be kept low enough to not be heard outside of the room.
3. A responsible adult must always be present to supervise all minors. Adults using meeting rooms may not leave children unattended in the library.
4. No alcohol, smoking, propellant devices, or open flames are permitted in the library, including portable food-warming fuels such as Sterno.
5. Tables and chairs are available in each room. Each group is responsible for setting up the room according to its needs.
6. Groups who reserve equipment from the library are responsible for the setup and connection of all equipment. No storage facilities are provided by the library.
7. Light refreshments may be served. Access to a shared kitchenette with refrigerator, microwave, and sink is available at Main Library at no charge. A sink and small refrigerator are available at the Bertram Woods Branch at no charge. However, no supplies are provided by the library. No food may be left on the premises.
8. Rooms must be left clean. Groups are responsible for proper disposal of food, paper, or other remains from their meeting. Groups are responsible for any loss or damage to library property and will be assessed the cost of any necessary repair or replacement and/or a housekeeping fee for cleanup.
9. The library assumes no liability and the group releases and holds the library harmless from any claims, actions or liabilities arising out of, directly or indirectly, the organization’s use of the meeting rooms, including without limitation, injuries to any persons using the meeting room from any food served and activities conducted, or damage to or loss of property, including computers and other electronic equipment, belonging to individuals or groups using the meeting rooms.
10. No admission fees may be charged; no collections may be taken; no donations may be solicited; and no items may be sold.
11. Tuition may be charged by non-profit library and educational institutions only upon the prior approval of the Library Director.
12. Meeting-related signs may not be posted in the library.
13. No tape, thumbtacks, or related adhesives may be used on library walls or equipment.
14. No literature may be distributed on Library property outside of the meeting room.
15. Groups shall not exceed the legal posted capacity of the meeting room and hallways may not be used as part of the room rental.
16. When the library must close due to an emergency, reasonable effort will be made to notify groups scheduled to use the meeting rooms. Fees will be refunded if the library is unable to reschedule. When in doubt, please call the library, visit the library’s website at www.shakerlibrary.org, or tune to local radio and TV stations.
Approved by the Board of Trustees 6/13/2005, amended 7/27/ 2009, 1/12/ 2010, 5/11/2010, 5/9/2011, 6/18/2012, 5/13/2013, 10/14/2013, 5/11/2015, 4/24/2017, 5/21/2018, 8/20/2018, 10/15/2018, 6/21/2021, 12/20/2021
Meeting Rooms are currently closed due to the pandemic and Main Library renovations.
Information about when the meeting rooms will re-open will be shared as it becomes available. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.