The board recognizes that library records and customer information are confidential. According to Ohio Revised Code section 149.432, library records are defined as a record in any form that is maintained by the library and that contains any of the following types of information:
- Information an individual is required to provide in order to be eligible to use library services or borrow materials.
- Information that identifies an individual as having requested or obtained specific materials or materials on a specific subject.
- Information that is provided by an individual to assist a staff member to answer a specific question or provide information on a particular subject.
Digital video images and still photographs recorded by the library’s security cameras are considered customer information and are therefore confidential. Access to and retrieval of such images and photographs are governed by the library’s Digital Video Surveillance Policy.
Information that does not identify an individual and that is retained for studying or evaluating the use of the library is not considered confidential and is not subject to this policy.
Personal Information Maintained by Shaker Heights Public Library
The library has adopted a Circulation of Library Materials Policy that requires certain personal information be provided by those applying for a Shaker Heights Public Library card. This information includes:
- Phone number
- Date of birth
- Driver’s license number
- Name of parent/guardian for juveniles
- E-mail address (optional)
- Special status information (e.g. Golden Buckeye)
- Restrictions on library borrowing (if any)
The library assigns a library card number and profile code to each cardholder’s account. The library updates personal information when customers notify the library of changes to personal information and at least every two years when library cards are required to be renewed. Birth date information is monitored regularly for changes in status and borrowing privileges (i.e., minor to adult). The library retains all personal information regarding a cardholder as long as that card remains active. Borrower records associated with inactive cards are purged according to CLEVNET policy. See Records Retention and Protection of Personal Information Policy for current policy on purging borrower records.
Releasing Customer Information
- Library staff will provide access to customer account information to an in-person customer who has the library card for that account in hand, either physically or on the CLEVNET app, or presents a valid government-issued photo ID identifying them as the holder of that account. Staff may choose to ask for additional identification.
- Library staff will release library information or library records pertaining to a minor child to that child’s parent, guardian, or custodian upon presentation of the child’s library card, either physically or on the CLEVNET app. A parent or guardian who is listed in the “care/of” line of a minor’s record may, upon presentation of a government-issued photo ID, receive information about the record and pay fees on the account.
- Library staff will provide access to customer account information over the telephone to a caller who can provide the library account number.
- When a lost or stolen card is reported over the telephone, the customer account associated with that card will be blocked.
Exceptions to Confidentiality
Under Ohio law, a customer’s library records or information shall not be made available to any individual other than the individual who is the subject of the record or information, except as follows:
- Records or customer information pertaining to minor children when requested by parents, guardians, or custodians.
- In accordance with a subpoena, search warrant, or other court order, or to a law enforcement officer who is investigating a matter involving public safety in exigent circumstances.
- Upon the request or with the consent of the individual who is the subject of the record or information.
- For library administrative purposes as defined by Ohio Revised Code section 149.432.
Responsibility for Personal Information
Shaker Heights Public Library is a member of the CLEVNET consortium, which owns and maintains the Integrated Library System (ILS) containing personal information about CLEVNET library customers. As a CLEVNET member, Shaker Heights Public Library follows the “Personal Information Rules for the CLEVNET System” and Ohio Revised Code Chapter 1347.
Shaker Heights Public Library designates the Circulation Services Manager as the employee who has the responsibility for monitoring and maintaining the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, and completeness of the personal information in the ILS as it pertains to the Shaker Heights Public Library.
Protection of Personal Information
Both CLEVNET and Shaker Heights Public Library have reasonable physical, electronic, and managerial measures in place to prevent unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure of personal information in their possession. The library routinely reviews its Information Security Policy and security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where information is stored.
Access to personal information the library holds or obtains is restricted to employees, contractors, and agents (including hosting services) on a need-to-know basis to operate, develop, and improve our products and services. Such employees, contractors, and agents are bound by confidentiality and subject to discipline for any violation of this policy, including termination and criminal prosecution.
Approved by the Shaker Heights Public Library Board of Trustees 2/15/2011, 12/10/2012, 3/27/2017, 4/15/2019, 5/17/2021, 3/20/2023