In keeping with its mission, the library offers programs that are designed to serve and strengthen our community.
- Library staff plans and develops programs to meet identified community needs and to have a positive impact on our community. Programming is aligned with the library’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- All programs are designed through the lens of diversity, equity, and inclusion to provide equitable access to all members of our community.
- Library sponsorship of a program does not constitute endorsement of the content or the views expressed by the presenter or the participants. Program topics, speakers and resources are not excluded from programs because of possible controversy, as the library strives to offer multiple viewpoints and reflect the diverse interests of the community.
- Program presenters are chosen for their expertise and performance experience.
- Programs are not planned for commercial, religious, or partisan purposes or for the solicitation of business.
- The library will attempt to make programs accessible to people with disabilities. Request for accommodations should be communicated to the Communications and Marketing Manager at least two weeks in advance of the program.
- Most library programs are free and open to the public; some programs may be designed for fund-raising and may include an admission fee or be by invitation only.
- Some library programs may be restricted by age to ensure content is age-appropriate and appealing to the intended audience.
- Programs are recorded only with permission of the presenters. Participants will be notified if a program is to be recorded and given the opportunity to opt out of participation.
- Photos may be taken during programs for library marketing, but no individuals will be identified without express permission. Individuals who do not want to be photographed by library staff may opt out by notifying library staff. See the Media Relations Policy for more information about photography in the library.
- The library may present programs with other agencies, organizations, and institutions, provided the programs are compatible with the library’s Mission, Vision, and Vales. Partners must coordinate marketing efforts with the library’s Communications and Marketing Manager. See the Outreach and Special Services Policy for the Library Partnership Statement.
- The library may pay for and provide refreshments for selected programs.
- Library staff members who present programs do so as part of their regular job and are not hired as outside contractors for programming.
- Program participants’ personal information is confidential, and will be shared only with library staff as needed.
- During programs for youth, a library staff member or parents/caregivers will be present if the presenter if the presenter is not a library staff member.
- Whether a program is delivered online or in person, participants are expected to adhere to the library’s Code of Conduct.
Guidelines for Selling Books, Recordings, Art, and Other Items at Library Programs
Sale of products at library programs must be approved by a library manager before the start of the program.
- Program presenters who are authors or artists may sell and sign books, music, movies and art following library programs.
- Under the Ohio Ethics Law, library staff and their immediate relatives or members of their household may not sell and sign books, music, movies and art in conjunction with library programs and may not be compensated for the sale of any product.
- Because the library advertises the programs, and provides a program venue and sales outlet for them presenters are asked to donate 15% of the sales of their books, movies, music, and art, to the Shaker Heights Public Library Endowment Fund.
The intent of the agreement is to provide:
- Awareness of the library’s Endowment Fund
- Support for the Endowment Fund
Approved by the Shaker Heights Public Library Board of Trustees 12/10/2007, 11/10/2009, 11/9/2010, 10/11/2011, 11/12/2012, 11/11/2013, 12/15/2014, 10/19/2015, 10/10/2016, 4/15/2019, 9/21/2020, 2/21/2022, 5/15/2023