In keeping with its mission, the library offers programs designed to promote library facilities, collections, or services, as well as to offer the community an educational, informational, entertaining, or cultural experience. Programs are intended to serve groups of people, not individuals (e.g. story hours, craft programs, classes, book discussion groups, concerts, lectures, and film presentations).
- Library staff plans and develops programs based on relevance to community needs and interests, as well as suitability for a general audience. Program presenters are chosen for their expertise and performance experience. Factors affecting programming include budget and the availability of staff and meeting rooms.
- Library sponsorship of a program does not constitute endorsement of the content or the views expressed by the presenter or the participants. Program topics, speakers and resources are not excluded from programs because of possible controversy, as the library strives to offer multiple viewpoints and reflect the diverse interests of the community.
- The Library does not plan commercial programs designed for the solicitation of business. Although a business person or professional may be invited to speak, the purpose of the program is to educate, inform, or entertain.
- Because the Library is a public institution, committed to diversity and inclusiveness, library programs are planned to be inclusive of customers and of all religions and no religion. Library programs may address religious themes to educate or inform, not to promote or observe a religion.
- The Library shall attempt to make programs accessible to people with disabilities. Sign interpretation will be available if notice of the need for such interpretation is received two weeks in advance. Notify the Public Relations Manager of any requested accommodation.
- Most library programs are free and open to the public; however, some public programs or classes may require a nominal materials fee.
- Some library programs may be restricted by age to ensure content is age-appropriate and appealing to the intended audience.
- Some library programs may be designed for library fund-raising and may include an admission fee or be by invitation only.
- Some events may require registration and/or may be ticketed, on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Program attendance may not exceed the room capacity.
- The Library may cosponsor programs with other agencies, organizations, and institutions. These individual or organizational partners must coordinate marketing efforts with the library’s Public Relations Department. All above policies apply to cosponsored programs.
- Library staff members who present programs do so as part of their regular job and are not hired as outside contractors for programming.
- Program participants’ personal information is confidential, and will not be shared with program presenters who are not library staff members.
- If a presenter is not a library staff member, a staff member or parent/caregiver will be present during programs whose intended audience is youth.
- Concerns, questions or complaints about library programs are referred to the Director.
Guidelines for Selling Books, Recordings, Art, and Other Items at Library Programs
- Program presenters who are authors or artists may sell and sign books, music, movies and art following library programs.
- Library staff and their immediate relatives or members of their household who present programs may not sell and sign books, music, movies and art in conjunction with library programs, in accordance with the Ohio Ethics Policy prohibition on public staff profiting from their positions.
- Because the library advertises the programs, and provides presenters with a program venue and sales outlet, they must donate 15% of the sales of their books, movies, music, art, and/or fees for services to the Shaker Heights Public Library Endowment Fund.
The intent of the agreement is to provide:
- Awareness of the library’s Endowment Fund
- Support for the Endowment Fund
Approved by the Shaker Heights Public Library Board of Trustees 12/10/2007, 11/10/2009, 11/9/2010, 10/11/2011, 11/12/2012, 11/11/2013, 12/15/2014, 10/19/2015, 10/10/2016, 4/15/2019