The Shaker Heights Public Library accepts gifts of money, books, and tangible items which can be used to further the aims and purposes of the library as stated in its mission and policies. The library reserves the right to refuse a gift if the conditions of acceptance are contrary to these aims and purposes or would result in the incurrence of excessive expense or administrative support. The library does not normally accept items for permanent exhibit.
Ohio’s public libraries are political subdivisions of the State of Ohio and are tax exempt governmental entities. As such, Ohio public libraries are organizations described in Section 170(c)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (the “Code”). Contributions to organizations described in Section 170(c)(1) of the Code are “charitable contributions,” and are therefore deductible under Section 170(a)(1) of the Code.
- Library material. Material accepted by the library is subject to the Collection Development Policy. Material given to the library becomes the property of the library to be used or disposed of as staff deems appropriate. Material that is in good condition but is not added to the collection is typically included in book sales to benefit the library.
- Monetary Gifts. The library gratefully accepts unrestricted gifts of money to be used at its discretion. Gifts for the enrichment of the library, other than library material, shall be accepted on an individual basis and subject to review by the Board. Monetary gifts given without restriction will be used to purchase material or equipment, to support library programs, or in other ways that the Board deems appropriate. Monetary gifts offered with specific restrictions, including endowment funds, are subject to Board approval of such restrictions before they are accepted by the Board.
- Library Endowment Fund. In addition to making direct library donations, individuals and organizations may contribute to the Shaker Heights Public Library Fund of the Cleveland Foundation. The purpose of the Fund is to provide a perpetual source of stable support for the library.
- In-Kind Donations and Gifts. As deemed appropriate by the Library Board of Trustees or their designee, the library will, from time to time, solicit financial support and in-kind donations from for-profit institutions and businesses. Appropriate recognition of these donations, as determined by the library, shall be made.
- Sponsorships. The library welcomes sponsorship of programs, projects, events, and capital improvements from individuals and groups including but not limited to businesses and service organizations. Sponsorships must be approved by the Board. In assessing the suitability of soliciting or accepting a potential sponsor, the Board considers the public image of the sponsor, its line of business, and all of its products and services. Sponsorships are pursued if the Board determines that an association between the potential sponsor and the library is suitable and will positively affect the public image that the library has established in the community.
- Evaluation of Gifts. Gift items will be formally acknowledged if the donor wishes. The library will not appraise or estimate the value of gift donations. The responsibility for such assessment lies with the donor.
- Gifts to Staff and Trustees. Staff and Trustees shall not accept gifts of any kind from members of the public or vendors, except for small items such as plants or cookies and candy, etc., which can be placed in the department and shared by everyone. All other gifts, including tips, must be refused or returned to the sender with an explanation that acceptance of gifts is strictly against library policy.
To donate please see Support the Library.
Approved by the Shaker Heights Public Library Board of Trustees 12/10/1984, 5/11/2010, 5/21/2018, 4/15/2019