The purpose of the Library’s meeting rooms is to provide a space for library and library-related activities. The needs of the library and Friends of the Shaker Library take precedence. The library reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any meeting.
The Library welcomes the use of its seven meeting rooms during regular library hours.
Six rooms at Main Library can accommodate from 10 to 100 people and one at Bertram Woods Branch holds up to 50 people. All non-profit meetings must be free and open to the public. Rooms may not be used for participatory physical activities (dances, martial arts, etc.). Rooms may only be used for invasive health procedures with special permission from the Director and proof of liability insurance that specifically covers the Library. If meeting rooms are in demand, the Library may limit an organization’s request to two reservations per month.
The Library has two fee rates: non-profit and for-profit/social. The non-profit rate shall apply to non-profit, educational, cultural, civic, political, professional, community, or religious organizations. The for-profit/social rate applies to social gatherings (birthday parties, wedding showers, family reunions, etc.) and business-related use. All rental fees support Shaker Heights Public Library’s collections and services.
Meeting room applications are submitted online and may be paid for by credit card at that time. All payments in cash, money order, credit card, or check (payable to Shaker Heights Public Library) must be paid at least seven days before the meeting date. Meeting rooms may be scheduled up to six months in advance. All applications are pending until approved by the Library. Decisions on meeting room use are subject to review by the Library Board of Trustees. The Library will acknowledge receipt of applications within 3 business days. Meeting Room applicants must be at least 18 years old and assume responsibility for the Conditions of Use.
The Library recognizes the rights of individuals or groups to express their views as long as they abide by the Library’s guidelines concerning use of the meeting rooms. Meeting content, topics, subject matter, expressed points of view, or literature distributed do not necessarily reflect the views of the Library Board of Trustees, the administration, or staff. All publicity must carry the name of the sponsoring organization and shall not imply Library sponsorship. Meeting signs may not be posted in the Library without permission from the Building Senior Person. No tape, thumbtacks, or related adhesives may be used on Library walls or equipment. The Library reserves the right to revoke permission to use any meeting room if library rules and policies are violated.
Fees & Refunds
For for-profit/social use there is a $40 per hour fee for a room that accommodates up to 50 people, with an option of reserving Rooms E & F combined to accommodate up to 100 people, for a fee of $80 per hour. Small rooms are available for a $20 per hour fee and can accommodate up to 15 people.
For non-profit use, small rooms are available for $2.50 per hour and can accommodate up to 15 people. Large rooms are available for $5 per hour and can accommodate up to 50 people, with an option of reserving Rooms E & F combined to accommodate up to 100 people, for $10 per hour. The library reserves the right to require proof of non-profit status.
A shared kitchenette is available to all groups. An LCD Projector and a 46-inch flat panel TV with DVD player may be rented for $10 each.
Fees will be refunded only if cancellation is received at least seven days prior to event. Groups are responsible for notifying the Library of cancellation of a meeting in addition to notifying group members and/or the audience. The Library does not assume responsibility for posting signs about cancellations.
Meeting room fees will be waived for all public school and government entities. However, the library reserves the right to charge reasonable fees, such as equipment rental fees.
The Library reserves the right to cancel any for-profit/social reservation not paid 14 days in advance to allow others the opportunity to use the room. A partial payment of at least 25% is acceptable to ensure the room isn’t released, but rooms must be paid in full 7 days in advance to avoid a late fee.
If the request and payment are not submitted at least 7 days in advance, applicants will be charged a $20 late fee for large meeting rooms or a $10 late fee for small meeting rooms, in addition to the regular meeting room fee.
Meeting Room Hours
Meeting rooms at the Main Library are available:
|Monday through Thursday||9:00 am – 8:30 pm|
|Friday, Saturday||9:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|Sunday (October-April)||1:00 pm – 4:30 pm|
The Dietz Community Room at Bertram Woods Branch is available:
|Monday, Wednesday||1:00 pm – 8:30 pm|
|Tuesday, Thursday Friday, Saturday||9:00 am – 5:00 pm|
Conditions of Use
Each organization using the meeting rooms must observe all Library rules and policies and the following Conditions of Use. Library staff has the authority to ensure compliance with these Conditions. If there is non-compliance, the Library reserves the right to refuse future meeting room requests or to require a refundable security deposit.
- Time needed for setup and cleanup must be included in reserved time. Rooms cannot be opened before, nor kept open after, the reserved time.
- Each organization is responsible for maintaining orderly conduct to ensure no disruption to other groups or Library operations.
- A responsible adult must be present at all times to supervise all minors. Adults using meeting rooms may not leave children unattended in the Library.
- The Library provides tables and chairs; however, each organization is responsible for setting up the rooms according to its needs. Groups who rent equipment from the library are responsible for the setup, connection, and troubleshooting of all equipment. No storage facilities are provided by the Library.
- Light refreshments may be served. Kitchenette access to a refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, and sink is available at Main Library. A sink and small refrigerator are available at the Bertram Woods Branch. However, no supplies are provided by the Library. No food may be left on the premises.
- Rooms must be left clean. Groups are responsible for proper disposal of food, paper, or other remains from their meeting. Groups are responsible for any loss or damage to library property and will be assessed the cost of any necessary repairs or extensive cleanup.
- The Library assumes no liability and the organization releases and holds the Library harmless from any claims, actions or liabilities arising out of, directly or indirectly, the organization’s use of the meeting rooms, including without limitation, injuries to any persons using the meeting room from any food served and activities conducted, or damage to or loss of property belonging to individuals or groups using the meeting rooms.
- No admission fees may be charged; no collections may be taken; no donations may be solicited; and no items may be sold.
- Tuition may be charged by non-profit library and educational institutions only upon the prior approval of the Library Director.
- No alcohol, smoking or open flames are permitted in the Library.
- No literature may be distributed on Library property outside of the meeting room without permission of the Library Director.
- No program may be broadcast or televised without permission.
- Groups shall not exceed the legal posted capacity of the meeting room and hallways may not be used as part of the room rental.
- When the Library must close due to an emergency, reasonable effort will be made to notify groups scheduled to use the meeting rooms. Fees will be refunded if the Library is unable to reschedule. When in doubt, please call the Library, visit the Library’s website at www.shakerlibrary.org, or tune to local radio and TV stations.
The Director or designee has the authority to waive or modify any part of this policy at his/her discretion as warranted.
Approved by the Board of Trustees 6/13/2005, amended 7/27/ 2009, 1/12/ 2010, 5/11/2010, 5/9/2011, 6/18/2012, 5/13/2013, 10/14/2013, 5/11/2015