In keeping with the Shaker Heights Public Library’s overall philosophy of providing access to a wide range of information sources, the Library provides bulletin board space for local non-profit events and activities. Programs and events publicized through the Library’s bulletin boards should be compatible with the Library’s purpose of providing educational, cultural, recreational, and information services to the community.
Permission shall be given based upon the limitations of display space, the timeliness of the material, and the relevance of the material to the civic, educational, informational, cultural, recreational, or vocational life of the community. The library will not display personal advertisements, petitions, solicitations, surveys, for-profit, or commercial materials. Staff may make exceptions for announcements of educational opportunities provided by profit making businesses, or items including a variety of beneficiaries. Political materials may provide non-partisan information on ballot issues and information on non-partisan races.
Authorization will be based upon the provisions of this policy and will not be based upon the viewpoint, beliefs, or affiliations of the non-profit group or the viewpoints expressed in the material. Posting or distribution of any such material in the Library does not indicate Library endorsement of the ideas, issues, or events promoted by that material.
- All notices, posters, and free literature must be approved and placed on the bulletin board or in the display racks by library staff. Items found posted without permission will be removed. All notices should be left at the Circulation Desk for staff approval.
- Locally-oriented newspapers/magazines available for free distribution will be accepted as space permits.
- Customers interested in advertising on the library’s digital bulletin board should contact the Public Relations Coordinator. The PR Coordinator, in conjunction with the Director, reviews all advertising on the digital bulletin board to ensure compliance with the policy.
- Advertised events should occur within 30 days. Notices advertising dated activities will be removed as soon as the event is over. Notices about services or events with no end date will be displayed for a period not to exceed 30 days.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for the preservation or protection of material posted or distributed. Material will not be returned.
- Preference will be given to posters 11×17 inches and under. Poorly constructed posters or flyers will not be posted.
Disagreements concerning any aspect of this policy may be appealed to the Shaker Heights Public Library Board of Trustees.
Approved by the Shaker Heights Public Library Board of Trustees 5/11/2010, 5/9/2011, 6/18/2012, 5/13/2013