The purpose of the library`s meeting rooms is to provide a space for library and library-related activities. The needs of the library and Friends of the Shaker Library take precedence. The library reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any meeting.
The library welcomes the use of its seven meeting rooms by non-profit, educational, cultural, civic, political, professional, or religious organizations during regular library hours, Monday through Sunday. Social gatherings (birthday parties, wedding showers, family reunions, etc.) are also permitted. Rooms at Main Library can accommodate from 10 to 100 people and the one at Bertram Woods Branch holds up to 50 people. All meetings except social gatherings must be free and open to the public. Rooms may not be used for commercial purposes, participatory physical activities (dances, martial arts, etc.) or invasive health procedures. If meeting rooms are in demand, the library may limit an organization’s request to two meeting room reservations per month.
Meeting room applications are submitted online and may be paid for by credit card at that time. All payments in cash, money order, credit card, or check (payable to Shaker Heights Public Library) must be received at least seven days before the meeting date. Meeting rooms may be scheduled up to six months in advance. All applications are pending until approved by the library. Decisions on meeting room use are subject to review by the Library Board of Trustees. The library will acknowledge receipt of applications within 3 business days. Meeting Room applicants must be at least 18 years old and assume responsibility for the Conditions of Use.
The library recognizes the rights of individuals or groups to express their views as long as they abide by the library’s guidelines concerning use of the meeting rooms. Meeting content, topics, subject matter, expressed points of view, or literature distributed do not necessarily reflect the views of the Library Board of Trustees, the administration, or staff. All publicity must carry the name of the sponsoring organization and shall not imply library sponsorship. Meeting signs may not be posted in the library without permission from the Building Senior Person. No tape, thumbtacks, or related adhesives may be used on library walls or equipment. The library reserves the right to revoke permission to use any meeting room if library rules and policies are violated.
Fees & Refunds
For social gatherings there is a $30 per hour fee for a room that accommodates up to 50 people, with an option of reserving two adjoining rooms to accommodate up to 100 people, for a fee of $60 per hour.
For non-profit organizations, small rooms are available for a $2.50 per hour fee and can accommodate up to 15 people. Large rooms are available for a $5 per hour fee and can accommodate up to 50 people, with an option of reserving two rooms to accommodate up to 100 people, for a fee of $10 per hour.
A shared kitchenette is available to all groups.
Fees will be refunded only if cancellation is received at least seven days prior to event. Groups are responsible for notifying the library of cancellation of a meeting in addition to notifying group members and/or the audience. The library does not assume responsibility for posting signs about
Meeting room fees will be waived for all tax-funded groups and organizations as well as those with which the library partners or collaborates.
Social functions must be paid 14 days in advance. The Library reserves the right to cancel any reservation not paid 14 days in advance to allow others the opportunity to use the room.
If the 7-day advance registration requirement is not met applicants will be charged a $20 late fee for large meeting rooms or a $10 late fee for small meeting rooms, in addition to the regular meeting room fee.
Meeting Room Hours
|Monday through Thursday
||9:00 a.m. – 8:30 p.m.|
||9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.|
||9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
||1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Conditions of Use
Each organization using the meeting rooms must observe all library rules and policies and the following Conditions of Use. Library staff has the authority to ensure compliance with these Conditions. If there is non-compliance, the library reserves the right to refuse future meeting room requests or to require a refundable security deposit.
1. Each organization is responsible for maintaining orderly conduct to ensure no disruption to other groups or library operations. Rooms must be vacated fifteen minutes before the library closes.
2. A responsible adult must be present at all times to supervise all minors. Adults using meeting rooms may not leave children unattended in the library.
3. The library provides tables and chairs; however, each organization is responsible for setting up the rooms according to its needs. Groups must provide all other equipment. No storage facilities are provided by the library. Microphones and amplifiers are not allowed.
4. Light refreshments may be served. Kitchenette access to a refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, and sink is available at Main Library. A sink and small refrigerator are available at the Bertram Woods Branch. However, no supplies are provided by the Library. No food may be left on the premises.
5. Rooms must be left clean. Groups are responsible for proper disposal of food, paper, or other remains from their meeting. Groups are responsible for any loss or damage to library property and will be assessed the cost of any necessary repairs or extensive clean up.
6. The library assumes no liability and the organization releases and holds the library harmless from any claims, actions or liabilities arising out of, directly or indirectly, the organization’s use of the meeting rooms, including without limitation, injuries to any persons using the meeting room from any food served and activities conducted, or damage to or loss of property belonging to individuals or groups using the meeting rooms.
7. No admission fees may be charged; no collections may be taken; no donations may be solicited; and no items may be sold. Subject to prior approval by the library, reasonable educational fees may be charged for certain instructional courses conducted by recognized and established nonprofit library and educational groups.
8. No alcohol, smoking or open flames are permitted in the library.
9. No literature may be distributed on library property outside of the meeting room without permission of the Library Director.
10. No program may be broadcast or televised without permission.
11. Groups shall not exceed the legal posted capacity of the meeting room and hallways may not be used as part of the room rental.
12. When the library must close due to any emergency, all efforts will be made to notify groups scheduled to use the meeting rooms. Fees will be refunded if the library is unable to provide space. When in doubt, please call the library, visit the library’s website at www.shakerlibrary.org, or tune to local radio and TV stations.
The Director or designee has the authority to waive or modify any part of this policy at his/her discretion as warranted.
Meeting rooms are available at Main Library on Sundays,
October through April.
All meeting room requests require agreement with the library policy.
Click below to agree and request a meeting room.
Approved by the Board of Trustees 6/13/2005; 7/27/2009; 1/12/2010; 6/11/2010; 5/9/2011, 6/18/2012, 5/13/2013.