Please help the Shaker Heights Public Library provide a safe and welcoming atmosphere for all of our customers by respecting your surroundings and respecting others.
The above Code of Conduct is not intended to be a complete list of violations, but is intended for guidance only. Library staff has the authority to determine what constitutes disruptive behavior. The Library reserves the right to require anyone violating the Code of Conduct to leave library property. Failure to leave if asked may result in the police being called and a charge of criminal trespass per Section 2911.21 of the Ohio Revised Code. Serious or repeated misconduct may lead to revocation of library privileges for an extended time, legal action and/or criminal prosecution.
- Be courteous and respect the rights of others.
- Speak quietly so you do not disturb others.
- Turn off cell phone ringers and converse quietly on cell phones while inside the library. Use headphones to listen to broadcast or recorded materials inside the library.
- Eat and drink in designated areas only.
- Keep entrances, doorways, hallways, and stairs clear at all times.
- Harassment, disruptive or threatening behavior, and use of abusive or obscene language toward customers or staff are not permitted.
- Responsibility for all children using the library rests with the parent/guardian or assigned chaperone and not with library staff. Police may be notified of unattended children.
- Service animals as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act are welcome. No other animals except those being used in a library program are permitted.
- Petitioning, such as for voting or ballot issues, is permitted on public sidewalks. Petitioners must position themselves so that they are not disrupting building entrances/exits, dropoff locations, parking areas, or library operations.
- Soliciting, proselytizing, and panhandling are prohibited on library property.
- Customers should keep their belongings with them, as the Library is not responsible for personal property.
- The Library does not permit weapons of any kind, either concealed or in plain view, on its property or in its buildings, unless the person carrying the weapon is a law enforcement officer.
- The Library does not permit smoking within the library or within 25 feet from entrances. This includes e-cigarettes.
- Suspected illegal activity will be reported to the police immediately.
Any customer whose privileges have been denied or revoked shall be notified in writing and will have the right to appeal this decision to the Director.
Approved by the Shaker Heights Public Library Board of Trustees 02/12/1996, 12/14/2010, 12/12/2011, 12/10/2012, 11/11/2013.